Thursday, May 8, 2008

Extra Marks

I am shocked. Well .. not really. But this time, my students really went overboard.
The girls that cried and cried coz I wont give them extra marks (the very word annoys me, why must I give them extra marks when they dont deserve it), walked in en-mass into my office and said that if I dont give them the extra marks, they will see the Dean and demand for extra marks. I told them to get out of my office. Then I told the Dean, who laughed it off and said that marks are my perogrative.
This subsidy mentality is really p . . . . . g me off.
Why must someone be given something extra when they dont deserve it? And all this drama after I allowed them to see their answer script and compare it to the marking schema. After I explained to them why they dont deserve any extra marks. After explaining that even through all that, I still gave them 2 extra marks. Yet they still failed.
I think I am the only lecturer that allows the students so much leeway. And it hurts, people questioning my integrity ...
Here, we are only to display the grade, and if they are unhappy they can pay RM30 to the University for a third party to recheck the answer script and give them their marks. I told them so, but they dont want to. I wonder why... coz they know they wont get any extra marks!

Ernest 0845:080508

6 comments:

munua said...

Hah hah hah,

They must have been such spoilt brats! I didn't remember any students my batch (during my varsity years -some 16 years ago) ever demanded such over-the-top kind of request. Extra marks? Please lah. They just need to work harder, if they want to get extra point, right?

And, sometimes I just wonder whether or not they were really qualified to be in the university……of course this is another story….

Prof. don't ever "give face" to them ah...

Anonymous said...

Munua is pretty right and i recall my badge dont really go that 'over-board'.

Ha ha...

Omykiss said...

Hello ernest .. popped in for a visit after I saw your comment on my blog ...

students,eh? Can't live with them, can't live without them ....

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Luv this post the best~! What a shame you didnt record it down and post it into youtube and paste the link in this blog. I want to be in your shoes at that time.. must be so frustrating and yet funny!! Cheer up! They are part of the spices in every lecturer's life.

ruff_iera said...

as im concern, i never request for an extra mark...i dont even have a strength to say that in front of u...coz u always said 'engkau orang jangan berani mintak extra mark dgn aku...aku gagal kan engkau orang nanti'...hahaha :-D...but i know...u are not that kind of person...u r such a nice person...thanx Prof...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin