Friday, November 30, 2012

Special Moments

Was scanning through the book Special Moments by Ng Kui Choo.

I usually don't read such books. I just get too sad, teary eyed and hard to swallow feeling.. coz it really touches a nerve.

And when I saw the short article, 22 An Ice Cream for Jeffrey - just made me so sad. Sad for the mother. Sad for our society.

The story:
The author saw a mother feeding her handicapped son ice cream at the car park.
"The teacher said reward him if he does his work - he did his work in school today and I promised him ice-cream," she sounded apologetic, "I could not bring him inside the ice cream parlour - people like to stare. So I feed him here."

I too have experienced this with my Walter.
People stare.
Whisper.
Point.
Laugh.

Yet Walter has better manners than so many people. He smiles as strangers. Shakes their hand. Says hello.

I am proud of my son.

Yet it is difficult for me. Very difficult.

1 comment:

abdooss said...

Yup.. I have a nephew like him too.. Once the father (my cousin) saw me hugging him, he sighed, saying "Some of our relatives can't accept him. They prefer him to be secluded in a room during family get-together like this. Thank You Cousin..."

What can I say? Some of us are still like what he said,,,

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin