Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Cost of living, worry, and thankfulness.

Was reading in the paper today of how people in Europe are worried of the economy and their livelihood.. and of a quote of a grandma stocking up on foodstuff .. that's what my mother does too.. LOL, which brought to my mind my own situation.. and those worst off than me.
I am in the middle class level of society, and yet I feel the pinch of our economy. I work for a living and even though I do have a good salary, I find it difficult to live nicely. I am thankful that I have a single-storey terrace house (which I am still paying for every month) and sad that I have no real savings or assets. Every month my wife complains that the amount of money I give to her to run the household is insufficient and now with the kids going to school, petrol bills, electric bills, Walters medicine (price really has gone up) and whatsoever.. its just difficult. And I am a lecturer... what more those earning less than me. Everything is more and more expensive..and my income doesn't go up as quickly as the prices.
I try to save whatever I can for my family's future.. but that doesn't amount to much, which makes me worried for my wife and children's future. Now while I am alive, people do give face to my son (he has Downs Syndrome) and I worry what will happen to him when I cannot support the family. My wife insist on going back to University to take a degree but I really wonder what work can she find and how can she work when we need somebody to look after Walter. I also worry how will she and the family survive if I pass away or am no longer able to provide an income for them. I worry for my daughters future, education and life in these difficult times and the future.All this plus my own not so great health... haiz.
Boy do I worry.
At the same time I take to heart what my Jesus says in Matthew 6:25- 34;    
25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 
28 “So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29 and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven,will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 
31 “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
and I take comfort and worry less. 
The practical side in me will and have tried many things, so that the future of my children will be good.
Nevertheless, at the same time I am thankful for what I have. I am still alive. I can still see. I have a wife, son, and a daughter. I have family that loves me. My mum is still alive and supportive. I have a house and car. I have a job which I am thankful for, its something I really love. I have the opportunity to help so many people. For all this and many more I am thankful.
So I worry less... yet...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin