I usually go on a tirade as to why one should not do a PhD. Some agree and don't come back after that. Some continue to listen and ask what to do. I tell them, and they do..and surprisingly come back. Others just disappear.
So why shouldn't you do a PhD?
1. You have other commitments - wife, kids, business, job..you name it.
2. You think its like doing a MBA! ROTFL
3. You think your supervisor will hold your hand and help you do all the work.
4. You think you will make more money.
5. You know there is a grant..you sure..what if there is no grant?
6. You still want to live as if you are making more money than your supervisor (have you counted the cost..can you live frugally?)
7. You want to be a lecturer...and its a requirement..what..you mean I must love it too?
I always ask my students, is it fun?
Is doing a PhD fun for you? If its not, then why are you here?
Is reading obscure, bombastic, hard to understand journals fun for you? If its not, then why are you here?
Do you find doing research fun? If its not, then why are you here?
Do you want to do something for the people and find this work fun? If its not, then why are you here?
I had fun doing my PhD (and still having fun now).
Are you having fun?
So what to do next.....read and find something of fun for you and then lets talk.