Friday, April 11, 2008

Back in Kuching

Yaa... I'm back in Kuching. No matter where I go to, it is always good to be back in Kuching.
Was in Johor Bahru for the past few days for a conference. Arrived in the afternoon of the first day of the conference, so missed the morning session. No choice, only flight from Kuching to Johor. Not that many people on the plane too. Coming back, there was only 2 persons in Business Class.
The sessions was interesting as this was a Language conference and my field is Marketing (but my paper looked at language cues in advertising). Initially not many interesting papers, mostly on teaching English.
Dinner was usual Malaysian formal dinner.
Had a Gamelan band and dances as usual. Sat next to a guy who shared similar views and talked on health issues... ha ha ha. But also managed to discuss on research. Left the dinner early.
The second day was OK. More interesting talks especially on how our undergraduates communicate in he working place. They say they speak English but they actually mix with Bahasa Malaysia.
Had more discussions and did my presentation which was well received. Forgot to get a photo, and I was wearing my red batik that my wife chose for me. : ) And for the first time, I got a certificate for presenting my paper. Been to many conferences and they usually dont give any certs, you only get the proceedings...

Ernest
110408

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin